GUSII WATER AND SANITATION COMPANY (GWASCCO)
- Gusii Water and Sewerage Company is a cluster system spread within the 14 districts within the two counties of Kisii and Nyamira. The company operates eight water supplies within its jurisdiction with a total design capacity of 15,230m3/day. The population within the service area is about 521,477of which 250,483, people are served.
- For easy of management the company is divided into eight (8No.) areas namely: Kisii, Nyamira, Keroka, Gesusu, Ogembo, Nyansiongo, Tabaka and Birongo (which was formerly managed by the community later handed over to the company). Each area is headed by an area manager.
- The company also manages one sewerage facility which is serving Kisii municipality. The treatment plant has a designed capacity of 8000m3/day. The facility is located at off Suneka – Isebania road, about 9km from Kisii town. It serves about 40% of the population within the Municipality.
To be the leading water and sewerage services provider in the County.
To effectively provide safe water and sewerage services in an environmentally sound manner to meet the expectations of our customers and other stakeholders using the available resources.
The Mandate of the service provider is to provide effective, efficient, adequate and safe water to customers, and to collect, treat and dispose sewerage in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.
Strategic Objectives of the water service provider in the period 2011-16:
- Increase water coverage area 43%-75%
- Increase sewerage service coverage area 30%-50%
- Reduction of non- revenue water from 46%-30%.
- Improve metering ratio from 62% to 100% by 2016.
- Efficient revenue collection from 89% to 95%.
- Human resource operational efficiency
- Customer service.
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Billing data clean-up
- Self-sustenance and mainstreaming activities.
Commitments and Responsibilities of the Service Provider
(i) Implement the company’s plan in line with the first short term plans.
(ii) Ensuring our strategic plan is linked to the short term plans.
(iii) Identifying performance targets.
(iv) Assigning weights to performance indicators.
(v) Negotiating and signing of performance targets with Lake Victoria South Water Services Board.
(vi) Ensuring that the set performance targets are met.
(vii) Developing and implementing appropriate annual work plans.
(viii) Preparing employees in the organization for the desired change in the working culture, attitudes and work ethics.
(ix) Ensure that employees of Gusii Water and Sanitation Company suspected of corrupt practices step down to allow room for investigations.