The County Public Works department is headed by the County Public Works Officer. It has a total county workforce of 46 staff. The department responsible for:-
- Designing and supervising other departments’ works;
- Designing the structural works for buildings and footbridges;
- Designing and supervising electrical and Mechanical services for building works;
- Preparation of Bills of Quantities for tendering process;
- Coordination and preparation of facilities for state functions and Presidential visits within the county.
- Maintaining a record of all the registered contractors in the County; and
- Keeping and maintaining inventory of Government property.
This department is composed of six sections, namely:- Administration, Architecture, Structures, Quantity Surveying, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering (BS). Its functions have been devolved to Gucha, Nyamache, Masaba South, Nyamarambe, Kisii South and Sameta sub-counties (formerly District Works Offices).
The department has a design team that is composed of:- an Architect, a Quantity Surveyor, an Electrical/Mechanical Engineer and a Structural Engineer. This team undertakes the design of the works and also assists the sub-counties in works documentation and supervision where necessary.